I chose a vintage patchwork top that I collected a few years ago and made some necessary repairs to blocks that had completely disintegrated...
Then miraculously found a number of scraps of backing fabric of the same character and quality as the original quilt, which I pieced together... it was exactly the size of the old quilt.
A border of soft brushed cotton to make the top the right size, a bit of putting together and tying with embroidery floss and voila! The original quilt has many more years of use ahead of it - many more nights on the porch swing.
My brother's only request when I started the project was to "please make it feel old".